Birding West Coast is about building a collaborative marketing presence around the cluster of tourist operators based just north of the glacier Region that specialise in bird watching or birding tours.
There are many opportunities on the West Coast to view a wide range of birds in areas from our native forests to our wetlands and coastal areas. The web site www.birdingwestcoast.co.nz has been established as the basis of the project to present the guided and non-guided bird watching opportunities on the West Coast as well as link to other bird watching opportunities in New Zealand.
The aim of the web site is to:
- Deliver information about birding watching on the West Coast
- Market bird watching operators on the West Coast
- Provide information about birds and their environment
- Enable visitors to the site to comment on their experiences and share photos and videos
- Create a space where people will engage on birding issues
The MRI project was provided with funding from New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE).
The intial cluster of operators includes White Heron Sanctuary Tours, Okarito Kiwi Tours, Okarito Boat Tours and Okarito Nature Tours. Development of the web site has been supported by the Department of Conservation (DoC) who have provided information about bird watching opportunities on the West Coast. DoC has also supplied bird photos as well as information about bird species in the bird directory.
Birding West Coast would like to thank the following partners for their support:
Site by Cabbage Tree Creative